In what ways do these documents constitute a debate on the national character, on what an American should be?.
Our final case study discussion examines Thomas Jefferson’s and Alexander Hamilton’s vision for America’s future in the period of the late 1780s and 1790s. You can find the link the documents below:
The link to Jefferson’s text is broken. You can get to the same material with the link below:
Consider the following question in preparation for our discussion this week:
1. How does each man argue that the nation’s future will be more secure in his preferred economy? that the people’s morals will be more secure?
2. In what ways do these documents constitute a debate on the national character, on what an American should be?
3. How would Jefferson and Hamilton view the social economy of the U.S. today?
- Post initial response by Thursday at 11:50 PM
- Post responses to at least two classmates by Friday at 11:50 PM
Grading: Your discussion will be graded based on your level of participation (each of you should initiate at least one post and reply to at least two posts), but also the quality of your postings. The best postings are clear and well-written, make direct reference to the readings and primary sources, and help to open discussion with other classmates.
Each discussion is worth 4 points. You will get 1 point for your initial post and 1 point for your two replies. If your initial post and replies meet the expectations for quality as defined above, your post will receive up to an additional two points.