prepare a presentation that highlights SEI historical and legal foundations, cultural competency, home and school collaboration tips, and strategies for working with EL students..
Scenario: Your elementary school has recently had an influx of EL students. For the upcoming parent orientation, your principal has asked you to prepare a presentation that highlights SEI historical and legal foundations, cultural competency, home and school collaboration tips, and strategies for working with EL students. Your audience contains teachers, staff, and parents.
Research the laws and court decisions listed below. Each of these has provided an important foundation for current policies regarding the education of English learners (ELs).
- Lau v. Nichols (1974)
- Castañeda v. Pickard (1981)
- Plyler v. Doe (1982)
- Flores v. Arizona
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Title III
- Title VI
- Proposition 203
- House Bill 2010
- House Bill 2064
Select the law or court decision from the list that you feel has had the greatest impact on English language education.
Create a 12- to 15-slide presentation that includes the following:
- An overview of the historical background of the law or court decision you selected and how it has influenced current trends and issues in English language education
- An explanation of the implications that the law or court decision may present to your EL program
- Brief descriptions of the different special populations (e.g., refugees, migrants, immigrants, SIFEs, RAELs, LTELs) that make up the EL student demographic
- Factors that may influence EL students’ language acquisition
- Sociocultural influences on elementary EL students in the classroom
- The role of cultural competency in English language instruction
- Strategies on how to develop cultural responsiveness
- Tips on how to create a safe and inclusive environment for English learners
- Strategies and resources for cultivating family and community engagement practices
Include speaker notes and a slide with APA-formatted references in your presentation.