what was the US military’s reason for killing the plains buffalo?.
1) In your own words, provide an overview of what was occurring in the U.S. during the Gold Rush, Civil War, and after the Civil War.
2) Describe how at least one historical event we learned this week connects to our new key term “Manifest Destiny.”
3) What is the historical significance of Sand Creek Massacre, according to the Smithsonian article? How exactly will it be “forgotten no more”?
4) According to this week’s lecture, what was the US military’s reason for killing the plains buffalo? Next, please analyze Bob Marley’s song, “Buffalo Soldier” through our particular historical lens. Keep in mind that this song analysis is open to your own interpretation, so please be thorough but feel free to get creative!
5) It is important to note that this time period was also marked by much indigenous resistance to Manifest Destiny and Westward Expansion. So let’s wrap up this week’s materials by independently researching one of the following indigenous resisters/leaders from this era: Cochise, Black Kettle, Geronimo, Crazy Horse, or Sitting Bull (or if you come across any others from this time period, you are welcome to research him/her instead!) Please explain who you chose to research, how s/he connects to this week’s material, and why s/he is important to learn about. Don’t forget to include a link to the article/video you used to find information.
Don’t forget to reach the full 300word minimum requirement, and remember to also post a 150 word minimum response to a peer!
Bob Marley’s “Buffalo Soldier”:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEpSBsUjY-0